The American Forest & Paper Association’s (AF&PA) sustainability initiative, Better Practices, Better Planet 2020, is the most extensive set of quantifiable sustainability goals for a major U.S. manufacturing industry, with a commitment to transparently report progress towards achieving those goals.
Better Practices, Better Planet 2020 aims to achieve the following sustainability goals by 2020:
- Increase the paper recovery for recycling rate to exceed 70 percent.
- Improve our industry’s energy efficiency in purchased energy use by at least 10 percent.
- Reduce the intensity of the industry’s greenhouse gas emissions by at least 15 percent.
- Increase the amount of fiber procured from certified forest lands or through certified fiber sourcing programs in the U.S. by 2020, and work with governments, industry and other stakeholders to promote policies around the globe to reduce illegal logging.
- Improve the industry’s safety incidence rate by 25 percent.
- Reduce the industry’s water use by 12 percent.
These goals are designed to build on the industry’s record of sustainability leadership, and include a transparent, biennial reporting process for holding the industry accountable for achieving them. For additional information, please click here